Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Only in Cambodia, Part II

Often chickens would wander into our dental clinic and we'd have to chase them back outside.

Ahh...only in Cambodia.



One day I was walking back to the orphanage from using the bathroom (two words: squatty potty), and I noticed one of the chicken's feathers looked...sort of...red. Hmm...Strange, yes, but I didn't think much of it. Then the next day, another chicken with white feathers looking a faded shade of blue.

Later on, I found out (and I swear I am not bullshitting you here) that at the orphanage, for entertainment...the kids enjoy that good old family favorite activity of watching cock fights.

No really, I guess they somehow dye one of the chickens, then introduce it to the other chickens who then recognize it as a stranger and attack it. And these orphans, the sweetest, most well behaved, God loving kids partake in this violent activity for fun. I never actually witnessed this myself, but I did see the evidence of the colored chickens.

Now how does this even fly (no pun intended, heh) that in this Christian-run orphanage? Because apparently, cock fighting is in the bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Age 32. Mom, wife, smart aleck.