Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Me, You, and Kathmandu

Sorry it's taken me a while to update y'all since I've arrived here in Nepal. There are a few reasons for this.

The first being the horrible exhaustion brought on by flying half way around the world, combined with, obviously, the time change, and add that to a schedule packed to the gills- Let's go have lunch! Now let's go set up the clinic! Let's go see the stupa! Now let's go shopping at the market! By the end each day I've been stumbling back to my room, eyes all bloodshot with barely enough energy to find my bed.

Another force keeping me from my blog is something load shedding. Here in Kathmandu (or as I like to call it, "The Kat") electricity is a precious commodity. Feel free to point your finger at global warming and overpopulation. I sound like the liberal that I am when I say that, but it's true. Nepalese rely on hydroelectric power. There is less snowfall in the Himalaya, therefore less water moving through the dam to generate power. When you add that to extreme population growth here in the city, you're left with not enough power to go around. So they ration it and call it load shedding. Twice in a 24 hour period, they shut off electricity for several hours at a time. The power-less hours are never the same from day to day, either. To come home from the clinic to have no wi-fi to blog and a laptop that needs to be charged... it's just been to easy to put it off another day.

The last, and biggest reason for not blogging is that I have been really, really homesick. I've never been good at hiding my feelings or sounding chipper when I'm not, and I was afraid if I sat down to blog all my fingers would type out would be a plea for someone to get me out of here.

I am feeling better now.

But it was really hard at first. If you followed my last mission you may remember I turn into a big crying snot ball when I am overly tired (not unlike a toddler). I was sorta beating myself up for not loving it here the second I stepped off the plane. I had a knot in my stomach for all the money I'd spent to be here only to be miserable. I wasn't able to look at the poverty around me and see all my blessings. No matter how hard I searched, I couldn't find the high I felt in Cambodia. I didn't immediately fit in with my team and I was lonely. I sat on my bed and cried more than once.

Depression sometimes sneaks into my life. That's just how God made me. The PMS monster wasn't help much either.

Now before my mom's protection mechanism goes into overdrive and books me a flight home, I am happy to say my sadness has lifted. I have made good friends and have realized they days are flying by. I reminded myself that the only one in charge of my world is me so I turned on some Jim Croce, drew back the curtains, and said to myself, Dude.......You're in Nepal.

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update Jess! Been thinking bout you and I love your honesty. Your openness is refreshing and I'm glad you've found your stride. It is a totally normal response to feel like you're feeling in a foreign land. Everything is different and there is TOO MUCH to process, plus you add in the massive tireds and I think it makes sense you'd feel as you have sister. I felt a lot of the same things myself when I was in Ghana. I wanted to love everything about it, but I wanted to be home most of the time I was there, I am sad to admit.

    I love you and admire your heart. You are putting yourself out there to help other people. I hope you have lots of adventures and know how loved you are from home!!!

    Amy Ferrell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update! Love ya and can't wait to hear more.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, you ARE in Nepal! I'm so proud of you and love being able to follow along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good thing I read it all, cause I was calling the airlines to get me over there to hug you. The time is going by quickly and you will never regret your decision to go.Hang in there and you will be home before you know it. Love and hugs, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank God you told mom you were ok....I was waiting for my my phone to ring for her to have me go get you out of there. Love you Jess and glad to hear you are adjusting! Remember...things always look better after a good night's sleep. That's my mantra - EVERYTHING makes me sad when I'm tired. Best of luck and I'll see you on the 6th. It'll be here before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That comment was from me.

    -Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well shoot. I'm really wanting to hear more darn it! thinking of you all the time....waiting on pins and needles for more stories and lots more pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hugs to you Jess! You are one fabulous lady! Enjoy your trip (the highs AND the lows) I can't wait for more posts. . .good luck with the power situation!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Way to pull up the big girl pants Jess. Love you, friend. Rock Nepal and be a great witness of God's love and gifts he gives his people.

    Krisy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jessica...i find myself intrigued by all your blogs and posts. You're such an inspiring person! I'm glad your feeling better, and yes the days will fly by i'm sure. I was just thinking how well you describe your thoughts, feelings, and experiences and realized that you should really consider writing a book...it seems to come so natural to you. Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip, oh and it's been crazy busy at work! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Jessica...So glad to finally hear from you and happy that you "bucked up, little camper". You are such an inspiration to us all and we do so look forward to your pictures, comments, etc. We are living vicariously through you. ya know!!!Tonya is right and you should consider a book. Love and missing you.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Age 32. Mom, wife, smart aleck.