Sunday, August 23, 2009

How to Make Cookie Monster Cupcakes

I got this idea for these cupcakes several months ago and I could hardly wait for Rowan's birthday to get here so I could make them. If you are up for the challenge, these turn out super cute, but I am not going to lie to you, they are a total pain in the ass to make (but worth it, of course). If you didn't have carpal tunnel to start with, you will for sure when you are done. Seriously, I had to give my hands a 2 hour rest half way through the batch.

Ok. So. Start by making a batch of cupakes, any flavor or color will do. I used chocolate with silver cupcake papers. Also, you will need these items to dress up these little guys. The Wilton's frosting is the best for decorating; it's pretty stiff stuff.


Start with said cupcake.


Prepare a batch of frosting ahead of time, dyed royal blue. Divide, half to frost with and the other half to pipe with. So blob on a lot of frosting and frost it into a dome shape.


Using a piping bag fitted with a #233 "grass" tip (Wilton's), pipe fur onto the cupcake. About half way through you may feel an overwhelming urge to get onto your hands and knees and repeatedly bang your head against the floor. This is perfectly normal.


Stick a cookie in there (hint! Cut it in half!)


Use the white chocolate disks to make eyes.


Give Cookie Monster some pupils (so he can see).


Sit back and marvel in the result of all your hard work.


Your 3-year-old-that-you-still-call-your-baby will think you're the best!

20 comments:

  1. Super cute! My kids happened to be sitting next to me when I was checking them out. They LOVED them. I guess I'll have to try them too. The sunflowers didn't turn out so hot for me as you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no you di'int. When are you getting your own tv show Martha II?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! You did such an amazing job...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are so fantastic. I am not sure I am that talented. I love them! My friend Leslie is awesome at cake decorating - now I have two people to envy in this department! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, these look great. I used them as a "how to reference" for cookie monster cupcakes. Not to many people put how-to photos, so thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually went through with it...and made these cute cupcakes for my 2 year old's birthday in February. They were a pain in the butt...I actually made my own frosting, the frosting that was recommended was too stiff. They turned out so cute...would I make them again...maybe not. I know not to make the frosting hump so big...that was too much frosting for my taste. BUT all the kids and adults loved them. I also got one of those huge cookies and had the little cookie monsters centered around the cookie. Very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My daughter asked for cookie monster cupcakes - wonderful much needed directions in how to make the fur and since I had the piping tips and the colored chocolate disks out already... it was easy as a cupcake! Pictures very helpful. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE THIS!! even though my b-day past im gonna use this for next year (yes my nickname is the cookie monster) everyone will love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love this...My twin boys are turning 2 in May and I will be doing this instead of a cake...will use the same principal for Elmo cupcakes as well....any suggestions for Elmo's nose?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! These cupcakes are lovely! I was just wondering.... what camera do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sophie, I shot those with a Canon 20D using window light.

    For the previous comment about Elmo's nose...Look for Easter egg candies in the stores. Bright orange ones would work perfectly. If all else fails, there's always frosting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are wonderful! I might "cheat" by using blue toasted coconut instead =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. OK- so I am setting out to make monster cupcakes for a friends son's birthday-I have come across your "how-to" Cookie Monster cupcakes, and after carefully considering the pain involved vs the cuteness of them, stupid me has decided to go for it-ha ha ha...may the forces that surround Martha Stewart help me in this process...ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  14. So Cute! How did you make the pupils?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much it is a very good guide, now to make cookie monster cupcakes is without a doubt simple with the help of your information. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  16. I reallly love this (: My boifriend who is a lil kid at heart and loves the cookie monster is gonna love these for his birthday. And you instructions are so easy to follow compared to other recpies (:

    ReplyDelete
  17. Right away I am going to do my breakfast, later than having my breakfast coming over again to read additional news.


    Feel free to visit my weblog - ford ranger forum

    ReplyDelete
  18. They are adorable! I made these cupcakes for my kids and they just loved them!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Age 32. Mom, wife, smart aleck.