Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Chapter 5: I Felt Like I Was in a Doublemint Commercial

When we first started working at the orphanage, I right away noticed the cutest little girl. I couldn't help but notice, because I always seemed to see her. She'd be smiling from far away, or peeking at us around the corner, or peering through the window watching us work. Although she did not speak any English, I got into the habit of talking to her anyway. To this girl I'd say "Hello my sweet pea" or things like "Wow, that is a pretty dress!"

Anyway.

This is my little cutie:


So one day, a few days into the mission, I saw my sweet girl, and I thought to myself, I could have sworn that she was wearing a black shirt earlier. Later that evening, as we finishing up the last of the patients for the day, there was a group of kids playing near the entrance to the clinic. I walked over to where they were, and saw my girl. Then I looked to the left...and saw her again. I looked at one, then the other, and back and forth, put my hands on my hips playing mad that I'd been duped, and even though I knew they wouldn't understand, said "Are you guys TWINS??!!" They both giggled and one of them held up two fingers and nodded her head yes. They did understand!

Their names are Chantha and Channa and I think they are about ten.


Here is Ratha and myself after cleaning Channa's teeth.

I had brought a huge bag of ribbons with me and tied one in the hair of each little girl that was my patient. I let Channa choose one and here I am playing hairdresser. I must say...the ribbons were a huge hit.


Me, Mary Kay, and the girls.

The last evening in the clinic, as I was finishing up, Channa passed me a note through the bars on the window. She must have had someone help her write it. It was covered in hearts, and read:

I love you and miss you forever

What is it like here?

Can I speak English a little

But I want to learn speaked English?


3 comments:

  1. I'll say it again......You are AWESOME! Thank you so much for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! that tugs at my heart! how much you have touched each of the children...amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wished you could have brought them home. I'll bet it was fun. Can't wait for Bella and Rowrow to get older and go along. What fun for them it will be. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Age 32. Mom, wife, smart aleck.