Sunday, February 28, 2010

Being Honored by the CACO

Saturday Dale and I headed down to Portland where we were reunited with my MTI team. I was so excited to see everyone. All week at work I am sure my coworkers got sick of me saying "I get to see my team on Saturday!" and "Did I tell you I get to see my team on Saturday?" and "I can't wait to see my team on Saturday!" Also, I wanted Dale to meet the people whom I shared such an amazing experience with and who mean so much to me and who turned me into an alcoholic (just temporarily).

The occasion that brought our team all together was a party put on by the CACO (Cambodian-American Community of Oregon) to say thank you for helping their people. See, to me it felt strange to be honored in this way. It's like, go on a fabulous vacation with all these fun people, go on lots of exciting little adventures, get lots of warm and fuzzy feelings from helping those in need, have your life changed in so many positive ways, eat lots of good food, gain tons of life experience, and drink lots of beer, then have people throw a big fancy party to officially thank you for it. It seemed silly, considering I am the one who is thankful.

It was wonderful to see everyone again. Unfortunately, Dave and Pat are in California and were unable to make it, but the rest of the team was there and we had a great time. Here are a few pictures. They are a little bit small. I "borrowed" these, because I was enjoying myself a little too much and realized I hardly took any pictures.

Ok, I didn't steal this one. I think this picture captures my relationship with Darold quite well.




It was fun to see everyone in their dress up clothes. I was so used to scrubs and MTI shirts! There's Mike, Mary Kay, and Franklin.


This is Ravy, Franklin's wife. The baby belonged to someone at the party...and I have never seen so much hair on a baby!!


The party was held at the BEAUTIFUL home of one of the CACO members. And there was so...much...food. Oh, I was in heaven! It was so good. Of course we had lots of good Cambodian food when we were actually in Cambodia, but we ate a lot of the same thing, and it was nothing like this. Here are all the lovely ladies who made all the fabulous food.


Darold's mom came as his guest.


The group during the speeches.


Mary Kay brought her photo album of our mission. I loved seeing it! I love seeing how different people photograph the same things, but in different ways. I was like "I want a copy of this picture!" and "I want a copy of that picture!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Age 32. Mom, wife, smart aleck.