Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Ever Experienced Durian?

The first time I ever heard of durian was when my sister-in-law Dawn told me about it. Durian is a fruit that grows in Southeast Asian countries. Dawn spent her teenage years living in Malaysia while her dad worked there for Boeing. She was like "Yeah there's like this fruit that smells really, really bad..."

To call it foul is like giving it a compliment. It is illegal to take durian on public transportation (in Cambodia, at least). As in, You brought this retched fruit with you onto the train. Now everyone is puking. Thanks a lot. Here's your fine. I was pretty much under the impression that although it smells bad, it tastes fine, because when I asked the dental students if they eat durian, they were all, "Yes. Durian good." The looks on their faces were like hello, duh.

I was curious about this, and when we were in Siem Reap Darold pointed some out to me. I laugh every time I see this picture. When I brought it up to my nose, I thought to myself, Oh yes. I've smelled this before. In the market. But I just thought I was walking past a stall selling filled cow intestines that had been left out in the sun for five days.



I actually tasted some at the CACO party after we'd gotten home. It was baked into a custard. And yep, still nasty. I am a pretty brave eater, but no amount of sugar can make that awfulness palatable to me.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jessie -

    I had to laugh -- last night I was flipping through the channels (trying to find Cake Boss) for my daughter, when I saw that guy that has the show where he eats very strange food. Well, just so happens he was in Cambodia, and also, just so happens, he begins to mention a horrible, horrible fruit calle Durian!! I watched with amazement - the coincidence and thought how wonderful that I read your blog and actually know what this obnoxious fruit is! It was funny because this guy literally eats anything and pretty much likes everything too - but when it came to Durian -- he hates it :-)! Says it tastes like something rancid and has the consistency of rotton onions . . . Yum :-)!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Age 32. Mom, wife, smart aleck.