Thursday, December 3, 2009

I Got to Meet My Team Yesterday!

A while back, I chatted with a doctor who had gone to Peru, while in his residency, to serve a mission repairing cleft palates with Operation Smile. There's one thing that I clearly remember him saying. "On your mission, you will get to work along side of the most inspiring, highly motivated people who will remain your friends for life."

Yesterday I went to work and saw my one and only patient for the day. Then I went and saw my MD for an H1N1 vaccine, then I hit the road and headed down to Portland. We had an official Cambodia mission team meeting at Medical Teams International HQ.

I got there early and sat in my car for a little while. I was nervous to meet my team. I was! What if they didn't like me? What if there was no chemistry in the group? What if none of us clicked? What if they were competitive, or cliquey, or standoffish? We'll be spending 14 days in close proximity under extreme conditions. We'll be working together, eating 3 meals a day together, staying in the same place together, hanging out together. What if we didn't get along?

My team consists of our team leader, who is a practicing dentist in Portland but is from Cambodia. His daughter Brittany is coming along as well. Then there are two retired dentists and their wives (one of the wives is the other RDH besides myself). These two couples are friends with each other. Then there's me, and lastly, two guys who are in a committed relationship. One of the guys has done this mission five times before, while it is his partner's first time.

The moment I met these people all of my worries were gone in an instant. They were so warm, friendly, and welcoming. We all got along like lifelong friends. When we all left to go home there was lots of hugging and "See you soon!" and "See you at the airport!"

As I drove away in my car I was so happy. It just feels right. This is the mission I am suppose to be on with the people I am suppose work with. It's meant to be. I feel it in my bones.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations Jess! I am so happy you are finally getting to go. I won't see you before you go or before the Holidays; so have a wonderful holiday with your family and have a safe and wonderful time on your mission.
    Take Care.....Mary Newcomb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you had a chance to meet your group before going. I know that you have been a bit nervous and I hope that knowing the ones who will be helping along side of you alleviates some of those nerves. Isn't it great that people who want to serve others are usually pretty nice people? I guess kind, good natured people are the ones drawn to do this kind of work! The count down is on.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Age 32. Mom, wife, smart aleck.