Saturday, February 21, 2009

I Cheated in Las Vegas

How's that title for an attention getter, eh?

It was my New Year's resolution to quit eating sugar. I made this decision because A) sugar is not good for you, and B) I always strive for self-improvement. So, as of Jan 1st, 2009, I went from a sweet tooth giver-inner to a strict, disciplined, healthy eater.

This was really hard for me. I craved sweets everyday for weeks. I don't know how many times I had to tell myself The cravings will pass. It won't be this hard forever and pretty soon you won't even think about it. I actually had to tell myself this many times on a daily basis.

While in Vegas in line for a latte at Coffee Bean, my eyes wandered about the goodies on display. I honed in on a cookie, and thought What the heck? I am in Las Vegas. Things that happen here don't count. You are away from home, it's Sin City, and the rules don't apply. What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, right?

So I treated myself to said cookie. Since my motto's always been If your going to cross the line, then leap across it, I chose the chocolate cookie dipped in milk chocolate.

Then the strangest thing happened. I sat down with my coffee and had a few bites of what I'd anticipated to be chocolate nirvana...and I just couldn't get into it. Too sweet, not worth it. I couldn't even finish it. Deep down inside I did a little victory dance. I was really, really proud of myself. I had stuck it out, gotten past the hard part, and was no longer taken to that "special place" that chocolate used to take me. Heck yeah...I conquered.













Ok, this isn't the exact cookie, but ya'll get the point :)

1 comment:

  1. Girl, you are my hero. i don't think i could ever give up sugar. i'm an addict, i admit it. maybe you could start a support group, i probably need to be a part of Sugar Anonymous.

    Hi my name is Rachel, Rachel Lovingfoss, Rachel Lovingfoss and it's been 2 minutes since the last time I had sugar (seriously, I just ate a chocolate chip cookie).

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Age 32. Mom, wife, smart aleck.