Thursday, September 10, 2009

See Ya! Have a Good Time! Don't Sprain Your Ankle or Stab Your Leg!

Ok. So. I still have to blog about Mt. Ellinor and I promise that post is coming...but until then, I have to talk about my boss.

Dr. Bowers is a very avid hunter and fisherman. Or you could even say fanatical or obsessive. Yes, those are all true.

He goes on several hunting trips during the season. He'll hunt deer here in Washington or Elk in Idaho and sometimes he uses a bow and arrow and sometimes he shoots a gun. For some reason, in addition to bringing home the "harvest" (as he calls it), he always comes back with some type of injury.

Usually his injuries are minor. He'll come into the office with bandaids or bruises or scrapes. Sometimes they're more serious. Once he had a pretty nasty eyeball scrape when he took a branch to the face while on his horse. One time he got a big gash to his eye socket when the scope nailed him when he fired his rifle. Yet another time he sprained the ankle on one leg and then accidentally stabbed himself in the other...during the same trip. There are others...I just can't remember them all.

Because of his accident prone-ness, whenever he'd leave for one of his trips I got into the habit of saying the same thing to him as he'd leave the office: "Bye! Have fun! Be safe! Don't Spain your ankle or stab your leg!"

Now I have more to add to the list.

Now I have to say, "Don't sprain your ankle or stab your leg or turn your head into hamburger!" Whew! That's gonna be a mouthful.

Today was our first day back after Dr. Bowers took a 5-day weekend (yes, to hunt). So this morning, first thing, I am standing there by the x-ray developer and in walks my boss...head all wrapped up in guaze just like you see on cartoons. And of course I was all Ohmygodwhathappened!!!????

I'll summarize his very long story into a simple equation:

Quad-Helmet=The makings of a very bad scar

So he shows me all these pics on his cell phone and I'm all Dude! Can I put some of these on my blog??

Obviously he said yes, because here we are. Now these pics are not for the squeamish. You've been warned.





I felt sorry for Dr. Bowers today. He was still in a lot of pain and ended up only working a half day. Oh! and he even has a broken rib! I eased up on the usual banter/teasing/ridicule/fun making because he was not his old energetic self. Poor guy. He is lucky to be alive.

8 comments:

  1. Can he prescribe his own pain pills?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that's not good. I might have see if my boys will look at those photos though because their grandpa just bought a youth sized 4-wheeler and my 7-year old is fearless although he does wear a helmet! The 4-wheeler also has a throttle limiter, so we have it turned down so it can't go too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect example why you should ALWAYS wear a helmet. If my granddaughter wasn't so little I would show her the pics, she doesn't think she should wear her helmet all the time. Glad to hear Doc is fine, but that had to have been very painful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OUCH!!!! He is so lucky that things weren't worse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jessica, Its Janie & Marylou down in So. Cal. after 2 margaritas, wow I can't believe the damage that Dr. Bowers did to himself. Janie told me all about it & I really did not believe it to be that bad, that man seriously needs to start using a helmet, he does know how important it is to use his brains huh? Jess, you blogs are so darn interesting. I told Paddy to check out the blog because, you know, she loves gore and gossip!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Age 32. Mom, wife, smart aleck.