Monday, November 9, 2009

Don't Look Now, But There's a Butterfly on Your Back

Dale, the kids and I spent the weekend up in Seattle with our friends Chris and Jennifer (because you're never too old for sleepovers, I always say). Chris and Dale spent the greater part of Sunday at the Seahawks game, while Jenn and I entertained the five kids by taking them to the Pacific Science Center.

There's this butterfly exhibit, where you are in a big green house of sorts with, like, thousands of butterflies fluttering about.

My kids were instantly scared.

A word about my kids: They're scared of everything. Especially Rowan. There's the usual...bugs, spiders, ants...then there's the innocent...puppies, kittens, butterflies.

Throughout the exhibit there was lots of handholding and constant reassurance.
"Look at how beautiful they are!" We'd say with exaggerated amazement. "They won't hurt you! They want to be your friend!! They're really nice!" and so on.

When Rowan bent over to look at the Koi fish in the pond, this friendly butterfly landed on his back. Of course I whip out the camera. And then like that- it came and went and Rowan never even knew. It's a good thing, too, because he would have FA-REAKED and everyone else in the exhibit would have blown eardrums from what Dale and I refer to as The Whistle Scream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Age 32. Mom, wife, smart aleck.