Tuesday, April 8, 2008

I Have 3, I Need 5 More

Dale and I bought our house over 5 years ago and when we first moved in, we decided one of the first projects we'd tackle would be the upstairs bathroom. Since I have a very hard working, creative, and motivated husband, he drew up a design (with my input here and there) and the project was underway in no time. I know some women have to beg their husbands to do things around the house, and some husbands will start projects and never finish them, but mine is just the opposite to the extreme. One Friday night during the remodel I got up in the middle of the night and found him working away. "Are you gonna come to bed? It's 5:30 in the morning."

When you walk into the bathroom, to the immediate right is a series of shelves which had been a small linen closet with a laundry chute at the bottom. When we remodeled, we decided to not have doors but instead just open shelves, which sounded like a good idea at the time. I pictured pretty folded towels and plants and other things to make it beautiful.

Then we had kids.

Since that is the bathroom closest to their bedroom, it has officially become their bathroom. The open shelves of pretty towels and decor slowly evolved into a hodge-podge of bright cartoon towels, baby wipes, bath toys, Tinkerbell bath soap for Bella, Thomas the Train bath soap for Rowan, etc. Through time I have grown to hate how cluttered and obnoxious it looks.

So a few weeks ago I was wandering around Target in West Olympia when I spotted these baskets that I knew would be just perfect for the bathroom. They were exactly what I needed to make the shelves look organized and concise. But they only had 2. No biggie, I thought. I bought them, and then headed across town to the Lacey Target to (so I thought) get the rest. When I got there, they only had one. So I bought it. Then I thought...no biggie, I'll just go to Target online and get the rest. So I did, and I could not find them on the website. Once again, I thought, no biggie, I'll just order them through the store.

A few days after that, I went back to Target with the tag from one of the baskets to have the customer service lady order 5 more baskets for me, and I told her how I hadn't been able to find enough of them in the stores and couldn't find them at all online. So she scanned the tag and was like "Oh, no wonder you couldn't find them! Looks like they've been discontinued."

Great. Now my shelves look slightly better, but I still feel back at square one!


I need a wider angle lens for these shots!



7 comments:

  1. Wow! Great pictures. Other than that last shot, you would have no clue that was a kids bathroom! Dale's projects really are impressive.
    See you soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what size are those baskets and i will look at the target down here and see if i can find them. and if there is a name too...i hate that when you only get half way it's frustrating...let me know details and i will gladly look...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kaylee- Can't wait to see you too!

    Rachel- The brand is Global Bazaar, and they were $17.99 each. Let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll check here too! There are about 5 targets in a 5 mile radius and I need to go anyway. Plus, I swear I just saw them last night!

    Were they in an aisle with a matching trunk/coffee table?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Courts. You should have lots of spare time on your hands now that you don't have a marathon to train for :(

    The baskets are in that area where they sell all that international stuff. I've even checked ebay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. John wants to tell you he's pretty sure that Dale took underwater basket weaving in high school. So he should be able to whip you up some baskets in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. jess... those look identical to baskets i bought at pier 1. they come either loose or six in a black cabinet. (i bought the cabinet.) they also look like ones my brother got at ikea... the handles and weave look the same.

    and your mauve countertops? be grateful they aren't '70s avocado green!

    oh, one more thing... at around 0100 on 23 april... so last night...

    we had snow again.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Age 32. Mom, wife, smart aleck.