Saturday, November 1, 2008

Marley & Me

Whenever I spend time in a new city, I always read the local newspaper. It helps me to familiarize myself with my surroundings. Learning about what's going on, what's popular, the weather, the crime, the culture, makes me fee a little more like an insider.
While in Chicago, in the hotel room, I was reading the entertainment section of the paper and read a review on a new book The Longest Trip Home. The article referred to it's writer as the author of the surprisingly popular and lovable memoir Marley & Me, a book about a family's adventures with it's highly neurotic and hyperactive yellow lab named Marley. I didn't give it too much thought.

Fast forward to Thursday of this week. I was with my patient whose name is Marley. Out of all 3000 of our patients, he is the only Marley. And he's one of my favorites. I asked one of the assistants, Janie, to come help me with some documenting. When she saw his chart, she said "Hey Marley! There's a book written about you!"
Then I instantly remembered the review I had read back in Chicago and said, "Oh, Marley & Me?"
"Yes! Have you read it? It is soooo good! You've got to read it. And they've made it into movie with Jennifer Aniston and Owen Wilson. It comes out Christmas day."

So yesterday I ran into Target for some new eyeliner and came out with Marley & Me. It is SUCH a good book so far. I can't put it down. I read it until midnight last night. I got up and read some more. I read it in the car while Dale drove us out to lunch. I even considered taking it into the restaurant (given we'd have some waiting time and all) but I decided that would be taking it a bit far. I read it while on the Stairmaster, and I swear if I could figure out a way to safely drive and read my book, I totally would.

I will of course go see the movie, too, and I promise it has nothing to do with my little crush on Owen Wilson.



Look how far I got in one day!

2 comments:

  1. Ok Jessie so I have just started to look for a new read. What perfect timing i've heard the reviews and I am running to the store tomorrow to pick one up. Thanks for the great info!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the preview for the movie and thought it looked kind of odd. I will take your word for it and give it a shot, that is after I'm done with my personal heroin which is not candy, but the "Twilight" series. It has been less than two weeks since I picked up book #1 and I'm almost done with book #3. Rarely am I that into a book so much that my husband keeps telling me if I don't put it down he will burn it. You have to read these when I'm done with them. Like I said not really something I thought I would be into, but it is like every woman I know is reading these books.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Age 32. Mom, wife, smart aleck.