Friday, December 26, 2008

You Can Leave Now, Snow

I really don't mean to complain about the snow...It was cozy and festive having a white Christmas and all...

...BUT...

Wow. We have SO much snow. Western WA gets snow pretty much every year, but usually it will snow a few inches, then immediately rain, and then it's all gone by the next day. In a typical winter season it will maybe do this 3-4 times. I don't remember anything like this. The only thing that comes close was the winter of 1985-
the weather man on the news was saying that the high for that particular day was less than the record LOW for that day. Yes, I was in third grade, but that does stick out in my mind. Even yet, it didn't stick around for too long.

We have been under a thick blanket of snow and freezing temps for 2 weeks now. Our mail isn't being delivered. Going outside is a huge process- it's like, "Honey, have you seen my knee-high rubber boots? The snow is even deeper today. We're going to have to leave in half an hour, so you may want to go get the car warming up. Now where did I put my fur-lined gloves...?"

What I am most sad about though, is our cherry tree. This tree must be ~60 years old, because that's about how old our house is. It's big and overgrown and it hangs over this set of concrete stairs that connects our back patio to our lower back yard. It is thick with ivy which just makes it even prettier. In the spring it booms...it's so beautiful. WAS. The weight of the snow caused it to literally split in half. I am so bummed out by this. Remember I said once that I tend to get emotionally attached to inanimate objects?

Ok, these pics don't show it well, but here is the big main section that broke off.














This shows the stairs. The tree use to hang over the stairs. Now it just lays ON them :(


















Oh, and in case you were wondering...it's snowning right now.

3 comments:

  1. I think there are many feeling your pain. Joanna just called me this morning and she was beyond angry. Turns out that stupid snow ripped the bumper right off of her car. oops. Bummer! She's ready for it to be gone too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. humm. well, my truck was stuck in my neighbour's yard for 8 days, i was not able to do any christmas or grocery shopping, and the only reason i ended up with a tree was cos i cut a cedar down in the yard! (cedar's are the right shape but make lousy christmas trees... branches are too light and slippery for ornaments... eh.) xoxo deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear ya Jess. We had 2 trees in our yard split right in half too, I'm sad, looks similar to your picture. It's amazing how it goes from absolutely beautiful to just downright ugly in just a couple of days.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Age 32. Mom, wife, smart aleck.