Sunday, April 26, 2009

The View From My Kitchen Sink

I have been so slack with my blogging I decided to bust out two in one day.

About a year and a half ago I attended a photography workshop. We had a didactic session in the morning and then a practical session in the afternoon which included a photo shoot. We were to choose a theme for our photographs, then we presented two photos for critique by our classmates based on what we'd learned earlier in the day. Part of what we were "graded" on was whether or not our pictures had a clearly defined subject. I failed miserably at this part. The humiliation only stung for a second, but I quickly learned that that was my weakness and I have never forgotten it. In fact, I think of it every time I press the shutter.

So why the big lead in? To me, this photo doesn't have a clearly defined subject. Some branches, some flowers, some grass, my street. So what?


The subject is the tulips in my neighbor's yard. Every evening, after dinner, I stand at the kitchen sink doing the dishes and this is my view. And every time my mind ends up with the same thought: Their flowers are so pretty...

Tonight I decided to photograph and share with all of you the scene that I see every time I look out my kitchen window. No clearly defined subject, but still very pretty.

2 comments:

  1. i think that's a lovely view....and i like the picture. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I was on Facebook and saw some of the pictures that Amy took of you and the kids. Oh my goodness, they were sooo cute! I love the one that's verticle, with Bella above you and Rowan in front. SO cute!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Age 32. Mom, wife, smart aleck.