Sunday, October 4, 2009

Some Exciting News!

Well, I promised myself I wouldn't share this on my blog until it was 100% set in stone, but it's 99.9% there and I can't hold the secret in any longer.

I am going on a mission!

I have been in touch with Medical Teams International for the past several months and on Wednesday I received an email informing me that I had made the team for an upcoming dental mission. And there was my name, 7th on a list of 9.

Jessica Ackley, Dental Hygienist.

I will be joining 3 dentists, another hygienist, one assistant, and two support staff to provide restorative services and extractions to children in orphanages.
How rewarding will that be?

Are you dying to know where??



CAMBODIA!!!!!!!!

I will be going for 2 weeks in January, 2010. I don't know any details yet. I have no idea where we'll be staying or what the conditions will be like. A hut in the jungle? A hotel in the city? Should I bring a mosquito net? Indoor plumbing or a hole in the ground? Electricity? Clean drinking water? And this question makes me feel really shallow given the circumstances, but...Will I be able to blog??

9 comments:

  1. You are a smart, gifted and caring person and they will be lucky to have you serving on the team with them. I admire your dedication to this whole process. You didn’t give up and it worked out. I’m sure it will be an experience you will never forget. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Jess! You're going to be such a blessing to all of those children in more ways then you know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy it's finally happening!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy it's finally happening!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm soo tired, I can't even post a comment right!

    This, and the last 2...from Mel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats!! That's so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations, Jessie! You must have a jillion unanswered questions...all to do with this assignment. I know a couple of school teachers who are at a school over in Malaysia... that's just across the gulf from Cambodia.
    Their house is pretty normal..with indoor plumbing and all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's really cool Jess. Good luck.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Age 32. Mom, wife, smart aleck.