Saturday, December 15, 2007

The Christmas Card Fiasco


I made our Christmas cards by hand this year. I do it because I like to torture myself during an already busy and stressful time of the year. Well, really what I do is make one, then take it to Kinko's and make color copies. Anyway, I was already feeling a little behind last Saturday when I spent the greater part of the day getting the card done. On Sunday Dale and I did some shopping and I ran the card in to have the copies made. SEVENTY of them. When I got back to the car I was eager to showed Dale the finished product. He looked at them, looked at me, and said slowly..."Ack-e-ly?" and I was like "What?....no........" Yes, that's right, folks, I had actually misspelled my own last name.
We sat there and laughed about it for 5 minutes strait, then decided that it gave the card character, and that anyone who actually noticed my error would also find it funny. But till my dying day I will never know how I overlooked it. I always thought I had such a critical eye for detail.
Oh wait, it gets better. We then went over to the crafts store to buy envelopes for my misspelled cards. Well, they didn't have seventy, more like twenty, so I decided that I would just order them online. Should be easy, I thought. I found the exact thing I wanted the next day, but in order to have them delivered by the time I wanted to get them into the mail, I had to pay through the roof for shipping. I don't even want to share how much it came to all together.
I had yesterday off, and the envelopes finally arrived (on the 5th day of 3-5 day shipping). The quality wasn't that great, but I didn't dwell on it. I worked like mad to get them out to the mailbox. A few hours later the mail lady knocked on the door, delivering a package. "By the way," she said, "I don't know if all those cards you're sending are going to make it with just one stamp." I decided to just send them anyway, because I have sent other cards out with that size envelope and 1 stamp and it's been fine. Besides, I'm in well over $100 already.
So to all my friends and family out there: Your card from the Ackleys (or Ackelys) will arrive in a poor quality, over priced envelope, and it will be spelled wrong. It could be late. It will have one stamp with one postmark, or it may have two stamps, two postmarks, and a little sticker telling me to add more postage. We'll see.

1 comment:

  1. This story sums up the holiday season for me - it's been one "fiasco" after another! Thanks for the good laugh!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Age 32. Mom, wife, smart aleck.