Monday, December 3, 2007

Crazy Weather






December arrived and brought some crazy-ass weather with it. On the 1st, we rode the ferry into Seattle with our friends Don and Michelle and during the hour-long ride it started snowing pretty heavily. The water was actually pretty rough, too, and I had to fight the queasiness the whole time. We went and saw The Trans Siberian Orchestra at Key Arena, and then went out to dinner at The Metropolitan Grill (or "The Met" if you are Seattle-savvy). The snow had all together stopped once we had finished dinner and drove home (it takes the same amount of time from Seattle to Shelton whether you drive or take the ferry, for any of my 12 blog readers that may be unfamiliar with the geography of Washington). We pretty much thought that was the end of any exciting weather.

When Dale and I got up yesterday to go pick up the kids at my sister's house, it was dumping snow. It snowed pretty much all day, and of course I took tons of pictures. By the time we went to bed, the snow had turned to rain, as it often does around here.

Then I woke up this morning at about 3:30 to a crazy wind and rain storm. The kind of winds that howl and make the house creak. The power went out, but came back around 5:00, so I decided to brave it and get up for work.

Dr. Bowers was out of town, so I was going to see some patients by myself. By the time I got to work (after navigating the closed and flooded streets) 5 out of my 8 patients had canceled. Plus, the assistant and front-office person that were scheduled to work with me weren't able to make it in because of multiple mudslides on Hwy 101. I thought, no biggie, I will see my 3 patients, then enjoy a short day and treat myself to a pedicure. Not so fast.......I got about 1/3 into my first cleaning when the power went out! Ugh! I didn't even have phone service at the office so I had to call the other 2 patients on my cell phone to cancel. Then I heard all of Mason County (and most of Western WA) was without power. When I headed out to go pick up the kids, everything was dark, no traffic signals, nothing, and still super windy. A truck driving in front of my had a huge branch crash down on top of it- Scary!

Anyway, it is still really windy and rainy (I heard there was a gust on the coast measured at 126 mph!) and I know our electricity is on borrowed time. We'll see what tomorrow brings!

4 comments:

  1. Those pictures are great!!!! The kids are so darn cute. Glad you got to have fun w/them in the snow. We didn't have that much in Olympia. It's amazing we are only 30 minutes apart and we had just a dusting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And we got none! I'm sometimes jealous of all you guys living south of me (except for when it sunny here and raining there!!!) Thanks for all the great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I drove from Lilliwaup Saturday afternoon back to Oly after being at my Gpa's for 1 hour. My poor Grandpa!! He had a huge ham dinner in the oven w/all the fixins' & everyone had to bail due to the crazy weather.
    On my way home -- I was literally 4 feet from getting into a head on w/an ambulance! Can you call 911 on crazy ambulance drivers?!
    Great pics -- Jess!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jess, Great pics. I don't know what weather you are all talking about. We had a little wind and about 3 inches of snow, but it was gone by Tuesday morning, my poor brother still has no power though (that's aberdeen for you). The Met is the best isn't it, I had the best steak there a few years ago, MMMmmmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Age 32. Mom, wife, smart aleck.