Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The Danger in Assumptions

I recently read Kaylee's blog and this recent post has inspired me to share a similar story that I am not so proud of, but since she wanted to teach ya'll a lesson on the danger of procrastinating, I thought I'd share a lesson myself.

Let me just say that with blogging, you can shine yourself in the best possible light. You only have to put out there what you want. Who's gonna be all Man! My PMS is raging today! I haven't done housework all week, and my marriage is teetering on the brink! So I am swallowing my pride a little with this post.

My story begins somewhere in February. As a hygienist, I am required to be registered with the State of Washington and maintain my license. I have to earn 15 continuing education credits per year, and each year on my birthday, renew my license. The way it works is that about a month before your birthday, they send you your new license with a little stub that you send back saying yes, you have completed at least 15 ce credits for the year. (You don't have to prove that you have done the classes, but you must have record of it in case you get audited.) You also have to pay a $40.00 renewal fee.

So I received my license in the mail and set it aside to take to work where it is displayed to reassure my patients that I do in fact know what I am doing, then I took the little pay stub and put it with our to-be-paid bills.

See, Dale pays all the bills. I am spoiled that way. I am perfectly capable of it, but he is willing to do the job and I must say, he's quite good at it. (In Dale's senior yearbook, he was voted "most reliable". Now don't you want someone like that paying your bills?) So by putting the stub with the other bills in this little wire rack that he organizes them in, I knew he would see it and pay it for me.

Now fast forward to Friday. I was looking for something around our desk/computer area and much to my horror, I discovered that my stub had somehow slipped through the wire rack and under our box of envelopes. Dale had never even seen it! It was 10 weeks late by this point. Then, taking a closer look, I see that if they receive it after your birthday, the cost doubles to $80.00! I was so mad...not at Dale, but at myself. I never should have just assumed he would see it and take care of it for me. I should have just taken the 2 minutes to sit down and write out the check and stick the stupid thing in the mail.

I am an on-the-ball type of person. I am never late, always responsible, I get stuff done. Oh, the story gets better! So when I found the stub I put it right in front of the keyboard to remind myself to do it (because I wasn't able to that very second), then I freaking spill coffee on it!! That just made my irresponsibility quotient go up about 10 points.

So the lesson you all can take away from this is to TELL your husband to do something for you, instead of assuming he will on his own :)


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for my morning laugh! Don't you hate that feeling of finding an unpaid bill - I only wish the one's I found were only $80!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally relate. That is one of my downfalls -- I tend to procrastinate a lot! Maybe it's meant to be that way for me? Maybe I work best under pressure. Who knows -- but it does drive me insane. :)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Age 32. Mom, wife, smart aleck.