Sunday, June 22, 2008

Meet My Friend Ibuprofen


Did I meet my goal (part 2)? Let's do the math. My goal was 50 miles, back to back. Yesterday I did 56.6, today I did 45.3, 56.6 +45.3 = 101.9 (divide by) 2 = 50.95 miles. So yes, I believe I did meet my goal.

I woke up bright and early with achy knees. I got ready anyway, and went down the stairs to where my bike was...each step I was in agony. Normally, I would just turn right back around and go back to bed and use the I-don't-want-to-risk-further-injury-so-I-better-take-it-easy excuse to take the day off. But this morning, I had to practice some serious self discipline and get on my bike.

I did Steamboat Island, there and back, there and back. My knees were killing me the first 5 miles or so, then they pretty much just went numb after that.

It was a fairly uneventful ride until I took the exit to cross the overpass for the final leg home. See, it's a hardly-used exit anyway, especially so early in the morning, so I usually just slow down enough to make sure the coast is clear, then breeze on through the stop sign and head to the left (yes, illegal, I know).

I wear special cleated shoes that clip into my pedals. Whenever I come to a stop, I have to remind myself in head, unclip, unclip, unclip. It can be hard to get used to, and if you haven't unclipped one foot by the time you've stopped, it's too late. Can you see where this story is going?

So I get to the stop sign where there is NEVER anyone coming and give a quick glance to the left to see a line of 4 cars coming. That means I have to stop or I will become roadkill. Well, I quickly grab both breaks...and in slow motion...fall over. I am unable to unclip my feet in time and so how do I break my fall? I twist my left leg outward and land directly on my already-hurt knee. Oh I was so pissed at myself for being so stupid!

I think with every ride I learn a new lesson. Today's was the importance of stopping at stop signs regardless, but more than that...UNCLIP!

6 comments:

  1. That is so sad. Did anyone stop to help you or did you just ride off as fast as you could go?
    Thank God for Ibuprofen!!! I practically live on the stuff. :) J/K I know. It's bad for your liver.
    I'm sure you're really burned out now. Good luck with your training for the next few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, no one helped me. Stuck up lady in a Mercedes Benz went right on past me. She's lucky she spared herself an earful from me...If she hadn't been coming, I wouldn't have had to stop, thus I wouldn't have fallen over. See, her fault.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh...I'm so sorry! Not only did it hurt...how embarassing! I can't believe no one stopped to at least ask you if you were OK.

    BTW, I can't believe they would even assign "666" as a number. You're going to kick a%$!

    ReplyDelete
  4. way to go cute girl....i have a sad story of falling over on my bike too....i hit a chuck hole and fell down a bank of everygreen blackberries....the ones with the thorns which can pierce two inches into one's skin and delicate ego...some of my kids stopped to turn around to see what happened to me and stood on the side of the road pointing and laughing at me while i was begging them to help me out of my misery......i had to climb out of the thorns by myself, no help from them.....they couldn't stop laughing long enough to help me....:(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jess. That comment was from my mom. It's true. I was one of the one's pointing and laughing. Actually I almost wet my pants I was laughing so hard. AND, it's not entirly true that we didn't help her. We had to pull the bike off of her so that she could climb out of the thorns. It was such a steep slope and she was pinned, with the bike on top of her with her head going down hill. So when we pulled the bike off, she started to backward somersault. I still laugh out loud remembering that one. It was a good one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kaylee- I figured that must have been your mom...the phrase "some of my kids" was pretty tell-tale and she's the only one that calls me "cute girl".

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Age 32. Mom, wife, smart aleck.