Saturday, June 7, 2008

My Coveted Chocolate Cake Recipe

I got this recipe from my very favorite instructor in dental hygiene school. She made us this chocolate cake to enjoy after the final in her class just before graduation. Maybe it was the stress of the upcoming boards, but I think I had three pieces. It was so good! And I don't even like cake that much. This one, however, is De-Lish.

Preheat your oven to 325 degrees
In a small sauce pan, boil 1 cup of water
After it reaches a boil, add 4 squares semi-sweet baker's chocolate
Remove from heat, cover, and allow the chocolate to melt

In a large bowl:
Sift 3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 Tbsp soda
1 tea salt

In a small bowl combine:
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup oil
2 eggs
1 Tbsp vanilla
add melted chocolate and water

Add the liquid to the dry ingredients. Grease and flour three 8 or 9 inch round cake pans, and line them with wax or parchment paper. You can also use Pam instead of shortening. Bake for 30 minutes (do not over bake).

Frosting:
In a large mixing bowl using an elecric mixer, add together
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
1/2 cup cocoa
3 Tbsp vanilla
1 box (16 oz) powdered sugar
add enough milk to make spreadable.


Here comes the fun part- the decorating. Choose your favorite serving plate.




Line it with strips of wax or parchment paper.




Slap some frosting between each layer.




Use the rest of the frosting to ice the cake. I tried to get a little creative with the top...it turned out ok.




Gently remove the paper strips and voila! A clean plate.





Decorate the cake any way you want with edible herbs, flowers, or berries. I started off with mint. I grow it in my yard. If you don't, that's ok, just go find it in someone else's yard.





I added some lavender and Bella helped me place sugared blueberries.



Dale's Happy Birthday cake.


Official chef and co-chef.

4 comments:

  1. Whatever Martha Stewart - and those adorable friggin aprons! Making us all look bad - I am lucky if I get the frosting to not take the tops of the cupcakes off!!! Or that I don't eat them all prior to the party :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, looks de-lish and very pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Josh absolutely loves your chocolate cake!! If I ever deviate from your recipe to the "store-bought box" he's disappointed & complains! Thanks Jessie -- now my husband only expects the best of chocolate cakes. I guess it really is, the cake is to die for. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay so do you have to be good at everything you do? Screw Top Foods and Fred Meyer, next time I have a party I'm hiring you. :) The pictures alone make me crave chocolate!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Age 32. Mom, wife, smart aleck.