Friday, June 20, 2008

Grilled Pizza

Ok, you have got to try this. Make homemade pizza and grill it on your BBQ. It is soooo good this way. I got the idea to cook it this way from Kaylee's mom, who is SUCH a good cook (artist, decorator, etc...) she makes Martha Stewart look like a preschool macaroni glue-er.

Now, it may be tempting to buy pre made dough and sauce from the grocery store. Don't. This recipe is freaking awesome. It takes about an hour to make both, but it is worth the time.

I have made this recipe many times over the years, but it's the first time I grilled it. I made it for our house
guests.

BTW, I got this recipe out of the Cosmo magazine that I was reading in my Las Vegas hotel room while I was getting my hair done for my wedding.

Dough:
2 packets yeast
1 cup warm water
2 1/3 cup flour
1 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp olive oil

Place yeast in a bowl, pour water over it, and a tiny pinch of sugar to give the yeast something to munch on. Let sit for 5 mins, then stir to dissolve. Add flour slowly work it in with a fork. On a floured surface, knead the dough for about 3 mins. Rub oil on dough, place in bowl, cover and let it rise for 1 hour until it doubles in size. While this is happening, get going on the sauce.

Sauce:
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 small onion finely chopped
2 minced garlic cloves
1 28 oz. can plum tomatoes with juice
1/2 tsp. each oragano, thyme and basil
pinch of sugar
salt and pepper

Heat oil in a saucepan, add onion and garlic, cook 3-4 mins. Add tomatoes with juice, breaking up tomatoes with a spoon as it cooks. Add herbs, sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, cover partially. Cook 30 mins until sauce is reduced by half.

To make personal sized pizzas, divide the dough into 6 equal parts, and flatten out each section with a rolling pin. Take them out to your BBQ. Brush one side with olive oil, lay oil side down on the grill.









When the underside has golden brown grill marks, brush more oil on the topside, then flip them over.









Spread a thin layer of sauce, then add your toppings. The pizza is done just as soon as the cheese melts. They cook fast, so don't leave them unattended.






These are fun to make when you have friends over. Each person can make theirs any way they like. This is my favorite kind of pizza...tomato basil. Mmmm...

1 comment:

About Me

My photo
Age 32. Mom, wife, smart aleck.