Saturday, May 3, 2008

Halibut Fishing...May 2005

My last post inspired me to share this story. Although it's not recent, it is pretty funny.

One of the patients in the office where I work lives in Westport and runs a charter boat for a living. His name is Jim, but I call him captain Jim (like when go get him from the waiting room, I say with enthusiasm, "Captain Jim!") Anyway, a few years back, Dr. Bowers and Jim struck up a deal to take our office halibut fishing. A few of the girls were immediately like, "No Way!" Looking back now, I realize they were the smart ones!

Personally, I thought it was a great idea, and was all for it. I had fished a gazillion times with my dad, and hadn't once gotten seasick. I never took the time to think that 25 miles out in the open ocean may be slightly different then the Strait of Juan de Fuca. It's a lesson I would learn the hard way!

There were about 20 of us on the boat, counting those from my office and the other guys who paid good money to be there. We boarded at 4am, and by 5:00 I felt like something wasn't quite right and by 5:30 I was heaving overboard. I went back into the cabin after regaining my composure, and told my boss I earned the First Puker Award. I felt great after that, and thought about how happy I was to have that over with for the day. Silly me.

I was sick ALL day long, and for some reason, the ONLY sick one. I think the bait guy felt sorry for me, because he fished for me all day. He'd hook one, reel it almost all the way up, the call out to me to reel up my fish. Then when I did he'd call all kinds of attention to my catch. He was like, "NICE JOB JESS!" I remember after reeling one up I turned to him and was like "Hold this. I have to throw-up." It was horrible and embarrassing. And I say this without one ounce of exaggeration: It was the most miserable I have ever felt. It was even worse then being in labor for 31 hours with Bella or giving birth to Rowan without drugs.

Here I am with my 40lb. halibut that "I" caught.

2 comments:

  1. Well you look fabulous for being so sick and miserable! Way to go! I love that story. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey!! Did you know that's your old coat??

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Age 32. Mom, wife, smart aleck.