Sunday, May 18, 2008

Who Moved My Cheese?











I think it is part of human nature to fear change. Everyone is guilty of it to some degree. I certainly am. When things are comfortable and predictable it is easy to become complacent. Why take a risk when things are fine just the way they are? That is a mindset that I try to avoid as I age. I never want to get old and cranky and set in my ways. I have observed throughout the years that people who are resistant to change are often unhappy. Have you ever noticed that some people would rather be miserable than accept that things change and that's just how it is?

The ability to embrace change is an asset. My great friend and coworker, Janie, who is 30 years my senior, deals with change like that's what she was born to do. "I just roll with it," she says. She is one of the calmest, most lighthearted people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing.

I read this book for the first time about 5 years ago when I received it as a gift, and I re-read it about once a year. I love how it is written. The author takes a complex subject and turns it into a simple, fun to read story. (I actually attempted to give a summary, then deleted it. It sounded too much like a
7th grade book report.)

So do yourself a favor, and buy this book. Don't get it from a library...own your own copy. You will need it to refer back to. It is an easy, fast read, and it will make you a better person.

2 comments:

  1. Oh...good ol' faithful; "Who Moved My Cheese" --- I guarantee it that if you mentioned this book in my department @ my job -- several ladies would roll their eyes in disgust! I've tried to shove this book down several of their throats on many different occasions. I can still hear the words they muttered under their breath as we speak..."stupid bi%@h!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to mention in my last comment...I really do like the book or I wouldn't have recommended it to my co-workers. I actually observed one lady come out of her shell a little & not be so rigid when change was occurring. I agree Jess; super book!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Age 32. Mom, wife, smart aleck.