Sunday, August 3, 2008

Bella and Rowan Starbucks




We discovered Bella's love for coffee when she was two. My sister had stopped by and had a latte with her. She had left the latte on our window seat and we got sidetracked with something else. About a half-hour later, we see Bella chugging the now-cold latte the way an athlete chugs Gatorade. We were totally shocked. From that moment on, she loved coffee. We didn't give it to her, mind you, but every once in a while we would give her a little taste (once it was cooled off, of course). This love affair lasted two years or so, and as she spoke better she'd ask about it constantly. Even driving through town, she'd see my favorite coffee shop, and point to it "Are we getting coffee? Can we get coffee? Coffee?? Coffee?? Coffee?? Can we get coffee? Are we getting coffee?" Than if I DID swing through the drive thru, the harassment worsened. I wouldn't even be able to enjoy my latte because I'd have to endure from the backseat "Can I have a drink??...Can I have a drink??...Can I have a drink??...Can I have a drink??" Dale and I would even catch her eating whole coffee beans out of the bag, so we had to put them on a higher shelf in the refrigerator. She has since moved on from her obsession with coffee...

Rowan is almost two, and guess what? Now he loves coffee. I let him try a little sip of mine once, and that's all it took (I put lots of cream in it, it's never that hot...no need to call CPS). Whenever I have a cup at home or on the road, he's pointing at it "I wann drink?...I wann drink?...I wann drink!!" When he sees me getting the coffee beans out of the fridge he begs and begs me to give him one.

This morning I accidentally spilled half the bag of beans onto the floor. You'd have thought I busted open a pinata or something. Rowan scurried over and was putting them into his mouth faster than I could pick them up. I was like "Rowan! No! Yucky! Yucky!!" Thank goodness the floors had just gotten mopped yesterday, but still! Have you ever eaten a plain old coffee bean?! Bleh! They're terribly bitter and dry and crumbly in your mouth. It's disgusting.

I don't understand my children. I didn't develop a love of coffee until college. I just don't get it.

3 comments:

  1. WOW! someone actually liking the taste of that foul tasting brew that everyone else in the nation loves but me. But, a small child, an innocent victim turning to the dark side at such an early age. Perhaps, they'll outgrow their need for this stinky, dark, dank swill. Enough said! Can you guess who this is?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, Janie, I have no idea who that is. Quit acting like such a
    Mo-Mo. One of these days I'll get you turned on to the lucious brew!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is SO stinking funny I have been telling that story to everyone I know!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Age 32. Mom, wife, smart aleck.