Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Super Cute Cupcakes



For my friend Sarah's baby shower, I was asked to make the cake. My wheels started turning...what could I come up with? Sarah is having a girl, but for some reason I didn't want to do anything with pink and bows and puff-n-fluff. I decided to do cupcakes instead (I llloooovvveeeeee creating more work for myself) and dreamed up this design while busy scraping away on my patient's teeth. I really did.

Ok, first, go to Walmart and get these ultra-trendy silver cupcake papers (shocking to see the words "Walmart" and "trendy" in the same sentence.)

Whip up a bowl of batter and bake a batch of cupcakes. I made mine from scratch, because I love extra work!


Then take two hours of your precious time and tie delicate little bows around each one. Since cupcakes obviously taper downward, you will have to defy the laws of physics and test your patience to get those ribbons to stay in place. Good luck with that. (glue dots help!)


Frost them next. I made some meringue-style frosting. I like how glossy and bright white it is. Really...who knew meringue was spelled that way? Thank God for spellcheck!



Decorate the top. I used sugared blueberries (to match the bows, of course!!) and mint leaves. BTW...if anyone wants recipes or real how-tos for any of this stuff, just let me know.



Your mad skills will impress all of your friends!

4 comments:

  1. Well, your mad skills impress me fo sho.
    Loved, LOVED, the cupcakes. Everyone thought they were amazing, as they of course were.

    Delish...and who knew the blueberries were sugared and not just frozen! Ha!

    You are, after all, the one who taught me the million dollar thanksgiving pie recipe! I've known all along that you were genious.

    Ps. I don't know how to use spell check while online...so the word genious may be mis-spelled, Ironic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow i am seriously impressed...i want to eat one too..they really turned out beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again, I say, WATCH your back Martha Stewart...Jess is in town! Look wonderful - I still would use a box (note my "scratch cake" for Reese's birthday). Think I will stick to being the one who orders.... :) Excited for the 1st!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jess,
    I have been lurking your blog for a little while (couple of months). I am not even really sure how I found it exactly. Anyhoo . . . I love commenting on people's creativity. I think you have some amazing talents! I am not really artistic when it comes to baking. I am ok with store-bought mixes. Thank you for sharing them!

    Tina

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Age 32. Mom, wife, smart aleck.